Southeast Asia: A Journey of Discovery
February 13-26, 2016
INTRODUCTION & OVERVIEW
SE Asia is one of the most seductive, sensual, and exotic corners of the world. Over 2 adventure-filled weeks, you will you travel through spectacular tropical landscapes, experience incredible cultural diversity, and explore the unique histories and ancient spiritual traditions of Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia. Highlights of this journey include:
- Bangkok: Capital of Thailand and cultural epicenter of SE Asia
- Luang Prabang: World Heritage Site & ancient capital of Laos
- Mekong River: Cruising on the region's lifeblood
- Hanoi: French colonial architecture, historic sites, scenic lakes
- Ha Long Bay: Drift among islands of sheer limestone cliffs
- Angkor Wat: One of the most mystical ancient sites in the world
Along the way, award-winning travel writer and psychologist Don Mankin will lead you on an immersive journey of self-exploration, discovery, and transformation. He will use the trip's many adventures and experiences as catalysts for lively and inspired group discussions that will help you reflect on what you are learning from your adventures. Time for personal reflection will leave you feeling rejuvenated and re-energized. And opportunities for one-on-one chats with Don will help you write the next chapter of your life!
Meet Your Program Leader
DON MANKIN, PH.D. | Don is an award-winning travel writer, life-long educator, and organizational consultant who has dedicated his life to personal and organizational transformations. The author of several books includingRiding the Hulahula to the Arctic Ocean: A Guide to 50 Extraordinary Adventures for the Seasoned Traveler (National Geographic Press), Don’s travel articles appear regularly in the Huffington Post.
Don’s first trip to SE Asia in 1995 that transformed his life by opening him up to “the expanded sense of possibility” from exploring and embracing other cultures (especially cultures vastly different from ours), sparking his interest in travel to exotic destinations, and ultimately leading him to forge a new career at an age when most people are well into retirement. This Journey of Discovery is an opportunity for you to experience the same kind of life-changing transformations as you are introduced to the exotic cultures of the region via authentic and intimate exposure to its most important and evocative sites. As we explore these cultures and traditions, we will also explore the unknown territory we confront as we transition into new phases of life such as retirement, loss, divorce and new careers.
Drawing on groundbreaking research on the transformative power of adventure travel and mythologist Campbell’s classic work about the Hero’s Journey, Don will use group conversations and personal reflection to challenge you to go beyond your comfort zones as you reflect on and reconsider your perspectives of people and cultures that are different than your own. In doing so, you will come to know yourself in a more intimate way and deepen your self-awareness and understanding. As you discover other worlds, through conversations and a process of reflection and introspection, you may in fact discover yourself.
Itinerary in Brief
Below is a high-level overview of the itinerary for this Journey. Click on the button below to see the complete itinerary!
- DAY 1: Bangkok, Thailand | Welcome to Thailand! Transfer to hotel + Free time to explore the city
- DAY 2: Bangkok, Thailand | Visit Bangkok's Grand Palaces & Temples + a Special Welcome Dinner
- DAY 3: Bangkok, Thailand | Walking and waterways tour through Bangkok
- DAY 4: Bankgkok, Thailand to Luang Prabang, Laos | Baci ceremony in Bangkok; Flight to Luang Prabang
- DAY 5: Luang Prabang, Laos | Morning alms ceremony + Elephant experience
- DAY 6: Luang Prabang, Laos to Hanoi, Vietnam | Mekong River cruise + village visits; Flight to Hanoi
- DAY 7: Hanoi, Vietnam | Morning exercise, Visit Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum, Temple of Literature, Old Quarter
- DAY 8: Hanoi, Vietnam | Visit Vietnam countryside and traditional villages + Vietnamese water puppet show
- DAY 9: Ha Long Bay | Ha Long Bay cruise and overnight voyage on one of the world's great rivers
- DAY 10: Hanoi, Vietnam | Cruise returns to Hanoi; afternoon free to explore the city
- DAY 11: Hanoi, Vietnam to Siem Reap, Cambodia | Morning free to explore the city; Flight to Siem Reap
- DAY 12: Siem Reap, Cambodia | Visit to Angkor Wat and other surrounding temples
- DAY 13: Siem Reap, Cambodia | Kampong Kleang village visit; countryside cycle; visit Banteay Srey; Farewell Dinner
- DAY 14: Siem Reap, Cambodia | Optional visit to Cambodia Dutch Organization; Transfer to airport for flight home
We will stay in boutique hotels on our journey throughSoutheast Asia, offering a taste of traditional Asian hospitality, comfort, and cuisine. Information regarding specific hotels can be found in the itinerary. Links to each hotel are below.
The following items are included in your Swiss Adventure:
- 1 pre-Getaway coaching call with Don
- All airport transfers
- All on-program ground transportation
- All accommodations during the program
- Meals and drinks as indicated in the itinerary
- All activities (ex: Guided tours, Elephant experience)
- Tips for services (hotels, food, non-MSA guides, etc.)
- All facilitated group conversations and coaching
- 1 post-Getaway coaching call with Don
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
The following items are NOT included in your Adventure:
- Airfare to/from SE Asia
- Internal flights (see itinerary for more info)
- Snacks, beverages, and meals (see the itinerary)
- Souvenirs or personal gifts
- Items of a personal nature (medicines, toiletries, etc.)
- Tips for MSA program leaders (optional)
Pricing & Booking
Pricing for this Journey of Discovery varies slightly depending on the number of people who go on the trip with us. Rates based on double occupancy. Single supplement may be available upon request. Contact us for more information.
- Program Price: $5400/pp
- Internal Air: $610 (estimated)
Ready for your Journey of Discovery through SE Asia? Click the Book Now! button below to be redirected to the Wildland Adventures website where you can sign up for this Adventure.
Create Your Own Southeast Asia Adventure
Do you dream of going to SE Asia, exploring the culture and cuisine, and immersing yourself in the magic and mystery of this 'strange' land but can't make these dates work? Click on the button below to begin building your private Adventure!
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions about this SE Asia: Journey of Discovery. If you have questions about this program that are not addressed here, contact us!
IS THIS PROGRAM FOR ME?
This program is for you if you are ready to write the next chapter in your story: You want a new job, career, or relationship, or simply a new way of looking at things. You love traveling, exploring new cultures, making new friends, and challenging yourself culturally and physically.
DO I NEED TO BE IN GREAT SHAPE TO PARTICIPATE?
This Journey of Discovery includes several hours of standing and/or walking on most days. You should be prepared to be on your feet for 6—8 hours most days. If you have questions or concerns about your ability to complete this program, please contact MSA at (424) 216—8339.
HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE GOING ON THIS ADVENTURE WITH ME?
Most Muddy Shoe Adventures have between 6—8 participants. We cap our programs at 10 people so that we maintain the intimacy of the small group environment. Most participants for this SE Asia Journey of Discovery are 50+ years old. Generally speaking, we see a few more women than men on our programs.
WHO WILL BE LEADING THIS PROGRAM?
Your Program Leader for this Adventure will be Don Mankin. You can see Don's bio above.
WHAT’S THE WEATHER LIKE IN SOUTHEAST ASIA IN FEBRUARY?
WONDERFUL! Highs are typically in the mid- to low-80s during the day, and can drop into the 60s (or below) at night. It's not unusual for it to rain at that time of year.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
The best approach is to bring layers of clothing: Everything from shorts and t-shirts to jackets, long-sleeve shirts, and pants. A broken-in pair of walking shoes or hiking boots is critical. A detailed packing list will be sent out via email prior to the program date.
WHICH AIRPORTS SHOULD I FLY INTO AND OUT OF?
You will be picked up from Bangkok (BKK) airport and transferred to your hotel. Our program ends in Siem Reap, so schedule your departure from Siem Reap Airport (REP).
WHO SHOULD I TALK TO IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT LODGING, FOOD, OR THE ADVENTURE ACTIVITIES?
Your program leaders are happy to answer any questions about these items; just give us a call at: (424) 216—8339 or contact us and we'll be happy to answer your questions. If we cannot answer all of your questions, our partners at Wildland Adventures will be able to speak with you.
WHO SHOULD I TALK TO IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM?
Call Muddy Shoe Adventures with questions related to the personal development program: (424) 216—8339.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE QUESTIONS THAT ARE NOT ADDRESSED HERE?
Simple — CONTACT US! We're always happy to talk to you about any additional questions, concerns, or ideas you have about your program.